ENGIE reaffirms its commitment to invest and build a new generation of sustainable and clean energy solutions in Asia Pacific
On the occasion of French President Hollande’s visit to Southeast Asia covering Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia, from 26 to 29 March, and in the presence of Gérard Mestrallet, ENGIE Chairman, Didier Holleaux, ENGIE Executive Vice President has signed eight agreements to develop sustainable and clean energy solutions, in line with the Group’s strategy.
These agreements reinforce ENGIE’s commitment to Asia Pacific as well as its strategy to be the leader of the energy transition in the world, in close cooperation with stakeholders including governments, industry partners, customers and local communities.
- one with Bolloré and Senoko Energy to co-develop smart city solutions in electric mobility and energy storage, and to explore opportunities in connection to airport services;
- one with Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore and Schneider Electric, to develop micro grid solutions, particularly through the Renewable Energy Integration Demonstrator in Singapore – “REIDS” – project;
- one for the creation of an International Research Network, signed by Gérard Mestrallet, ENGIE Chairman, on behalf of ENGIE, with NTU, The Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique (CNRS), the Commissariat à l’énergie atomique et aux énergies alternatives (CEA) and other French academic parties. This agreement will enable joint efforts on renewable energy, with a focus on specific themes such as smart grids and power systems, energy storage, wind and marine energies, photovoltaics and green and smart buildings.
These agreements reaffirm ENGIE’s recognition of Singapore as an innovation and R&D hub that supports the rising energy demands in Asia-Pacific in a sustainable manner. In 2016, the Group inaugurated its first Asian ENGIE Lab in Singapore.
In Malaysia, the Group:
- signed two partnership agreements with Sime Darby, a Malaysia-based diversified multinational corporation, to co-develop business opportunities in solar energy and high-end, state-of-the-art integrated facilities management services;
- launched the expanded facilities of its Megajana District Cooling System, located 40 kilometers outside Kuala Lumpur, to supply round-the-clock chilled water for air conditioning to Cyberjaya township’s data centers, malls and office towers in partnership with Pendinginan Megajana Sdn Bhd, a subsidiary of Cyberview Sdn Bhd.
In Indonesia, ENGIE signed three partnership agreements to develop, co-finance, build, operate and maintain micro grid and other renewable energy projects in various parts of Indonesia, for a total value of USD 1.25 billion over the next five years:
- a partnership with Sugar Group to develop renewable energy projects, in particular large solar power plants projects, in Sumatera and Eastern Indonesia;
- a partnership with Electric Vine Industries to develop, finance, build, operate and maintain photovoltaic smart micro grids for 3,000 villages in the Province of Papua;
- a partnership with PT Arya Watala Capital to develop medium size solar power plants in the province of East Nusa Tenggara.
Asia’s increasing demand for power and energy services provides ENGIE with opportunities to grow its businesses, especially in providing sustainable and reliable energy to the region’s many islands and peninsulas. This will be achieved through a mix of renewable and clean energy solutions including solar, geothermal, wind, biomass, gas and decentralized generation. Diversifying the energy mix will be critical for Asia’s economic growth outlook.
ENGIE is deeply committed to the Asia Pacific region in helping governments, customers and businesses to capitalize on growth opportunities in a sustainable manner. The Group employs 6,800 people in the Asia Pacific.
ENGIE develops its businesses (power, natural gas, energy services) around a model based on responsible growth to take on the major challenges of energy’s transition to a low-carbon economy: access to sustainable energy, climate-change mitigation and adaptation and the rational use of resources. The Group provides individuals, cities and businesses with highly efficient and innovative solutions largely based on its expertise in four key sectors: renewable energy, energy efficiency, liquefied natural gas and digital technology. ENGIE employs 153,090 people worldwide and achieved revenues of €66.6 billion in 2016. The Group is listed on the Paris and Brussels stock exchanges (ENGI) and is represented in the main international indices: CAC 40, BEL 20, DJ Euro Stoxx 50, Euronext 100, FTSE Eurotop 100, MSCI Europe, DJSI World, DJSI Europe and Euronext Vigeo (World 120, Eurozone 120, Europe 120 and France 20).