ENGIE assessed as "Industry Leader" in the Dow Jones Sustainability Indices
ENGIE’s non-financial performance has once again been recognized by rating agency RobecoSAM, which confirmed the Group’s 2016 presence on the (DJSI) for World and Europe.
The 2016 review positions the Group as an “industry leader” in the “Multi and Water Utilities“ sector, with a score of 85 out of 100. ENGIE improved its performance across every category of the review:
- environmental performance increased by 10 points (78/100),
- social performance increased by 4 points (95/100),
- economic performance increased by 3 points (85/100).
“I am very proud to see ENGIE singled out for its non-financial performance and considered the most sustainable company in the Multi and Water Utilities sector in 2016. This achievement rewards the Group’s ongoing efforts as a frontrunner in corporate and environmental responsibility. The rating offers encouragement for our strategic renewal which includes close connections with our stakeholders,” stated ENGIE CEO Isabelle Kocher.
For the Group, 2016 marks a new phase in its CSR ambitions, as illustrated by the six targets for 2020, announced at the last general shareholders’ meeting:
- A customer satisfaction score of 85% among its BtoC customers;
- A production portfolio containing 25% renewable energy;
- A 20% reduction in the ratio of CO2 emissions for each source of energy production, as compared with 2012. This objective augments ENGIE’s previous objective and is a result of the Group’s decision, in October 2015, to concentrate solely on low-carbon projects using renewable energy and natural gas, and no longer to launch new coal-based projects;
- 100% coverage of the Group’s activities by an appropriate mechanism for dialogue and consultation with its stakeholders, based on regular meetings with NGOs and non-profits alongside long-term partnerships related to the Group’s activities;
- A workforce comprising 25% women;
- A work-related accident frequency rate of less than 3.
Launched in 1999, the DJSI World is the leading global sustainability benchmark. Companies included in the DJSI are recommended for sustainability investing by RobecoSAM based on its evaluation of a broad selection of environmental, social, and governance-related factors. The 3,400 largest global companies are invited to participate in the review conducted by RobecoSAM. In 2016, of the 2,535 companies from all sectors reviewed for the DJSI World, 316 were selected. Of the 615 companies from all sectors reviewed for the DJSI Europe, 154 were selected.
ENGIE develops its businesses (power, natural gas, energy services) around a model based on responsible growth to take on the major challenges of energy’s transition to a low-carbon economy: access to sustainable energy, climate-change mitigation and adaptation and the rational use of resources. The Group provides individuals, cities and businesses with highly efficient and innovative solutions largely based on its expertise in four key sectors: renewable energy, energy efficiency, liquefied natural gas and digital technology. ENGIE employs 154,950 people worldwide and achieved revenues of €69.9 billion in 2015. The Group is listed on the Paris and Brussels stock exchanges (ENGI) and is represented in the main international indices: CAC 40, BEL 20, DJ Euro Stoxx 50, Euronext 100, FTSE Eurotop 100, MSCI Europe, DJSI World, DJSI Europe and Euronext Vigeo (Eurozone 120, Europe 120 and France 20).